What is this irrigation scheduling tool?
An online application accessible from desktops and phones, where anyone can get a correct irrigation schedule for their property.
But don’t we have smart controllers for that?
Well, yes, but a poorly-programmed smart controller can do just as much damage (if not more) than a properly programmed controller of any sort. We also know first hand that many homeowners don’t trust WBICs and therefore put them back in manual mode not long after installation. Also, many landscape professionals who program controllers are often unsure of the right settings at installation time.
The irrigation schedule, more than any other conservation method, is the most important and cheapest tool in the box. This information is hard to come by, too technical for many to get right, and too important not to get it into as many hands as possible.
Who this tool is for
Anyone who is responsible for setting up an irrigation controller and maintaining its watering schedule.
- Homeowners who don’t want to upgrade to a smart controller or don’t trust the one they have
- Contractors who can’t remember the right way to program the landscape they just installed
- Landscapers who don’t know the right schedule to begin with
- Water Districts & Conservation Organizations who want to empower their constituents to save more water in the landscape
How it works
Our scheduler uses a complex set of data and algorithms to develop your personalized irrigation schedule just like a smart controller—except no smart controller is needed because you’re a smart human. Here’s a sampling of the data we use:
- Local weather data (historical evapotranspiration rates, known as ET)
- Plant water needs (in California we use WUCOLS, a system designed by the UC Cooperative Extension)
- Precipitation rates of typical sprinklers and specific nozzles
- Microclimate information (you’ll tell us this)
- Soil type (you’ll tell us this, too)
- Slope (you’ll tell us this, too)
- Overall system efficiency (only if you know, otherwise we make an educated guess)
- Local watering restrictions (if your water district is offering the tool)
Are you sure I can do this myself?
We work with homeowners all the time so our products are all homeowner-friendly. We expect you to have answers like “I don’t know” and respond accordingly. We offer in-app hints to help you figure out the info you need. Our online support guides will help you answer questions like “What kind of soil do I have?”
And most importantly, you can sign up for email and/or SMS text messages to get monthly reminders when it’s time to update your watering schedule!